Chemicals Policy for a Healthy Future:
A good chemicals policy is one that promotes innovation in green chemical design and encourages companies to constantly seek improvement. Governments can accelerate this momentum by ensuring that hazardous chemicals are substituted with safer, feasible alternatives. CPA assists local, federal and international governments to adopt and implement the Substitution Principle and to accurately assess chemicals of high concern
- The Business NGO Workgroup’s Chemical Policy Principles sets out the fundamentals of good chemicals policy
- The Louisville Charter sets the framework for chemicals policy reform in the USA
- “Safer Chemicals Within Reach: Using the Substitution Principle to Drive Green Chemistry” This report helped achieve substitution language within Europe’s new chemical policy, REACH, and gives examples of how industries are moving to safer chemical practices. Download summary and full report.
- Clean Production Action (CPA) supports the US EPA’s Design for the Environment Program and the Safer Detergent Stewardship Initiative (SDSI) as key programs for facilitating the adoption of green chemistry.
- Read how the GreenScreen™ promotes informed substitution of hazardous chemicals with safer alternatives in Chemical Alternatives Assessment: Enabling Substitution to Safer Chemicals.